Use these questions if the interview subject was born outside of the United States. Before conducting the interview, review the following with your interviewee to make sure they feel comfortable with the questions and choose the most appropriate ones. It might be helpful to give them a few minutes to reflect before beginning the interview.
If you’d like to share your story with friends, family or the public, use our Moving Stories app.
MOTIVATION FOR MIGRATING
There is a story behind every decision to migrate.
- What was yours (or your parents)?
- What were your (or your parents) hopes for your new life here?
- Why did you choose to come to this country instead of somewhere else?
- Who did you come with and who did you leave behind? Did anyone come ahead of you?
- What was the most difficult part about leaving?
- What was your journey to this new country like?
- What was the most difficult part of coming here?
- What was it like when you first arrived?
- What most surprised you?
- What did you miss most about the country you came from?
- Who was most helpful with getting you settled?
- Migration can be hard. Where did you find strength in difficult times?
- How do you think that migration has changed you?
HOPES & REALITIES
- As time has passed, how does your experience compare to what you expected?
- What have been your biggest challenges?
- What have been your greatest sources of joy?
- Overall, how do you think you family is doing after the migration?
- Can you think of times when you have felt unwelcomed as an immigrant? What about when you have felt welcomed?
- If you have DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival) status, how did your life change once you attained that status?
- How might losing DACA status affect your life?
- How do you think the new proposed legislations by the Senate and Congress to extend more permanent protections to undocumented youth affect you if they passed?
- Do you have a story about someone you care about that was deported?
- What is the thing you are proudest of so far and why?
- What are you hoping to accomplish in the future?
- What do you think may get in the way of those dreams?
- What do you think may help your dreams come true?
- In what ways do you think migration has made you a stronger person?
- If someone you knew were planning on coming to this country, what would you tell them to expect?
- What advice would you give them about whether or not they should come?
- If they decided to come, what advice would you give them about how to make the best of their experience?
- What do you wish more people knew about immigrants?
- What are the 2 or 3 most important things that people could do to make the process of coming to a new country better?
- Is there anything you would like to add that that has not been asked?