Teaching in Uncertain Times
July 13-16, 2020
Re-imagining Migration is offering a unique online learning experience for K-12 teachers, school administrators, and education professionals working in schools, museums, after-school spaces. This seminar will introduce participants to the Re-imagining Migration’s approach to advance the education and well-being of immigrant-origin youth, decrease bias and hatred against these youth and help all young people develop the understanding and habits of mind, heart, and civic participation to nurture inclusive communities and healthy democracies. During the course of the online seminar participants will engage in a blend of instruction, interaction with leading scholars and inspiring educators, and reflection on the construction of learning experiences designed to ensure that young people grow up understanding migration as a shared condition of our past, present, and future.
- Engage with leading scholars of im/migration and education.
- Experience, understand and learn to apply Re-imagining Migration’s framework
- Learn how to create, assess, and sustain inclusive environments that signal belonging and respect for immigrant-origin students, their peers, and the broader educational community.
- Experience and learn to apply and customize Re-imagining Migration’s learning arc and approach to curriculum design.
- Interact with leading educators from across the United States and the world.
The cost for the seminar is $50 USD. Limited scholarships are available.
Follow this link to pay.
Use this link to apply.
The Re-imagining Migration Educational Leadership Program
Central to our efforts to spur educational innovation is the Re-imagining Migration Educational Leadership Program. Now entering its second year, Re-imagining Migration Leaders come from across the educational ecosystem, including artists and filmmakers, community organizations, museums, schools, and schools of education.
Applicants to the program propose an action research project based on our educational framework, attend our annual seminar, design their project with the assistance of Re-imagining Migration staff and fellows, and agree to share the results of their world with educators around the world.
2020 leaders will:
- Participate in the online seminar at no cost to themselves or educational organizations.
- Receive customized professional support and coaching from Re-imagining Migration Staff at no cost.
- Design an inquiry project based on the Re-imagining Migration framework and learning arc which they will carry out during the 2020-2021 school year.
- Participate in at least three follow up meetings with Re-Imagining Migration staff and leaders.
- Document their practice and share their learning with our network.
- Present their inquiry/action project in at least one professional development setting (e.g. conferences, workshops, webinars, etc.).